Thursday, February 19, 2009

You are what you wear.

Come on you know it's true. You don't want to believe it right? Idealistically what matters is who you are on the inside....sorry. That is not how the real world works.

It's all about first impressions and making a statement about who you are to others. Think job interviews and how everything you wear matters- right down to the right kind of earrings!

I am 22 years-old and I am just starting to dress my age. For a fresh start I recently emptied out my entire closet and donated lots of clothes I never wear anymore and ones that made me look like a high schooler ( I do not need help with that). I wore mostly jeans and screen Ts to campus and I was asked if I was a first year all four years! :(

It struck me the most when at my desk job, parents come in look straight at me and turn away and head to my co-worker who was slumped in the corner listening to his iPod. SO f***ing frustrating! Our boss did not care what we wore to work, so I'd go in with jeans and Ts. I realized I got more attention and respect as an employee when I dressed older.

I hate that it makes me seem a little shallow or lacking self-confident or whatever. I don't know about you dear reader- but when I feel like I dress good, I feel good.

----
edit:
I'd like to note that I'm not completely dissing and shunning Ts and jeans. I still keep some of my favorite Ts (like my Threadless). I've had to be a little more creative, dress them up with accessories or wear them under a blazer or cardigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment